Apartment: Ditch it. But that I guess isn’t going to happen for another 1.5 years. So in the meantime I’ll deal with the ugly stained carpet. If I had my way it would be wood floors. Preferable walnut.
Couch: Sew a custom slipcover in white cotton duck. Maybe sew two. But I plan to bleach the crap outta that thing.
Rug: Ditch it. So sick of it. And its cheapness (no offense if you have this rug…I said ‘no offense, so that makes it okay to say whatever I want.) I would like maybe a plain white braided one from IKEA thats dirt cheap (since we’re going to be poor for 2-4 more years, according to the husband.) Oh–I have to have an area rug because there is a huge stain on the carpet (that was there when we moved in, lovely, right?)
Ottoman: Undecided…any ideas? I’m so sick of it just being another piece of furniture but it comes in handy. Plus it holds tons of stuff.
Chair: I can’t part from this chair because it was a cast-off from our first married apartment and therefore holds sentimental value. Plus I restained and re-covered it. I think after I do the slipcover I’ll re-cover it again in some cute print. And maybe paint the wood white. Maybe.
Curtains: I’m gonna keep these up since the alternative is $$ which we don’t have or putting up the even-more hideous vertical blinds that came with the apartment. Who said “Hey lets make these the standard in ALL cheap apartments!! They are SO attractive and not at all annoying!”
Kids crap: I want to move our IKEA 8-cube Expedit to the corner (where the tree was) and put books/decor but also drawers to keep more toys. Shwin & Shwin has a great tutorial for covering those AWFUL plastic Expedit drawers. (And then I’ll buy the 16-cube Expedit for my craft corner because that is even worse than the living room right now.)
1. My TV, TV console and the Expedit are all black. That’s a lot of black for one wall. I don’t want to paint, so what should I do to brighten it up? Pretty colored canvases? Painted vases?
2. Should I get the new 16-cube Expedit in white? The black matches better, but I need more light in the apartment, plus I like white. But IKEA white is very plastic-ey. I have the white Expedit in my boys room and it’s fine in there…I’m thinking also of the future because I want to paint my crafting table white too.
3. I like the simple white and black/brown color scheme but I need a pop of one or two colors. I am loving blue…should I do blue? Is blue on its way out?
4. We have one of the Lazy Boy recliners in tan microfiber. Those chairs are hideous to me but my husband needs it for his back. How can I make it blend in with the rest of the makeover?
5. Does anyone have the IKEA white braided rug? Does it stain or show dirt all the time? Is it washable?
6. For future reference, what kind of window treatment should I consider? I like curtains but what kind of fabric? Print or plain?
Is that a TMI overload? Are you suffering from Craft Block just reading this post? (Yeah, welcome to my world.)