A Twin Size Chevron Puff Quilt!

So I have a pretty firm and fast rule of not making puff quilts larger than toddler bed size.  But when fabric designer Ann Kelle contacted me and asked me to help her out in her quest of decorating a shared nursery–she wanted a twin size puff quilt–I broke my rule!

I used the Rag Puff Quilt Tutorial for the quilt, using her own fabric, a fun yellow polka dot with white Kona.  And a blue and green flannel print on the back.  I made the squares larger, using this 8-square method to crank out the zigzag triangles.  {If you’d like to order this pattern with the zigzag instructions, please send me a message and I will attach the zigzag instructions.}

This was back in February so I don’t remember how many puffs it ended up being.  I think it was something like 280?  The hardest part was the endless clipping of the seams…oh the clipping!

If you are thinking about making a larger size puff quilt, I recommend making the squares larger than 5×5. Maybe 7×7? You can barely tell a difference and it’s much less work.

Even though it was a lot of work–I was so proud of how it turned out!  I was even tempted to make some for my kids…maybe someday!

The whole nursery is adorable! To see the full nursery and detailed pictures of the room, visit Ann Kelle’s blog.

Photos courtesy of Angela Crutcher.

Pin It

Comments

1. I love the colors…and your attention to detail. Great room!

2. Oh my! This is SO gorgeous! And so much work….I’m super impressed. I love everything about this. I just started a chevron quilt too & I was feeling all proud of myself for my hard work, but it’s nothing compared to this! haha adayinthelifeofamomandawife.blogspot.com

• Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

No way–you should feel proud! It’s all work, no matter if it takes an hour or twenty.

3. Its darling, Heidi! The fabric is fabulous. I’m such a fan of your puff quilts! :)

4. I love it!! I started making my son a twin size puff quilt but I lost steam after sewing and stuffing about 30 (of 300 or so) puffs. I’m currently considering switching to a faster quilt top. Yours looks so great though that maybe I’ll keep going. I think I might be stuffing my puffs too much. How mushy or firm are yours when they’re all sewn together in rows?

• Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

It’s definitely harder when they are filled too much. I grab about a handful and then poof up the batting before putting it in the square. That way it’s not too dense but it’s still puffy.

5. lyndsey says:

This is my favorite puff quilt yet! Maybe it’s the yellow…maybe it’ the larger size (more of a good thing!) I’ve never thought of making a puff quilt myself until now!

• Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

Thanks! I think that the larger puffs suits the scale of the larger quilt. Kind of resembles those down comforters with the grid lines (which is why Ann Kelle contacted me in the first place–she wanted something like that!)

6. That is too amazing. Beautiful nursery.

7. It is beautiful! I love the colors.
    I’ve considered making a Queen-size with super-large puffs (maybe 10X10?) but so far I haven’t convinced myself to buy that much fabric when it might be too difficult to complete. I think it would look really cool though.

• Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

It’s not hard–it’s just a time thing. Just give yourself plenty of time to work on it and you’ll be fine! Good luck!

8. Wery good !

9. hello i love your quilts. beginner sewer but really want to try one of these puff quilts for my daughter for xmas. she really appreciates home made gifts. is there any site i can see detailed pics or instructions on sewing the rows together. also how to add the 3 or 4 inch border around the edges to make it look so well finished. starting on the puffs today knowing how long theyre going to take

10. Do you know about how much fabric you used for this? I would like to make one for my daugter (i bought yhe pattern over the weekend) but I’m not sure how to figure out how much fabric to buy.

11. Did you use a bag fiberfill (like what you use for stuffing animals) or Batting that quilters use? Your blanket is adorable. I lve the chevron pattern!

• Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

I use poly-fil from Fairfield.

• Janet Hestla says:

That is so gorgeous! I was thinking of buying the pattern but was wondering what the care is for one of the puff quilts. Can it be machine washed and dried in the dryer?

• Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

The larger quilts might not fit in a washer because they are quite large…wash them like you would any other comforter, just be sure to dry it immediately after (machine is okay).

12. hola me encantan todo lo que haces por favor si podes enviarme el patron de acolchado zigzag te sigo porque me gusta todo y estoy haciendo muchas cositas para mi visnieto y quiero hacer el acolchado para mi ñieta brenda desde ya muchas gracias

13. I would love the zigzag pattern. My daughter is looking for s quilt just like this. I want to make it for her for Christmas. Thanks!

Trackbacks

1. [...] be a good listener, becoming a seller on Etsy, bird pillow, birthday … … Read more: A Twin Size Chevron Puff Quilt! | HoneyBear Lane ← Zakka Style Sew Along Week 13 – Patchwork [...]

2. [...]  Twin Size ZigZag Puff Quilt:  I made this custom for Ann Kelle, the fabric designer and it was quite an accomplishment.  This [...]

3. [...] I was released from my calling (Relief Society secretary) two weeks ago when a new RS presidency was called, so since I don’t have a new one yet, I’m feeling the need to start a huge new project! Since I made Elijah a pretty elaborate quilt (see it here) just before he transitioned from his crib to a bed, I’m going to make one for Audrey too. I was browsing Pinterest the other day for ideas when I came across this quilt… [...]