Here it is! What do you think?
PS I am aware of the crookedness of the stuff on the wall. We just ran out of time but we’ll fix it later. :) I have washed it again so it’s still a little wrinkled but seriously, am I going to spend hours ironing my slipcover? No!
And here it is with the quilt. I plan on doing some more pillows and stuff but I need a little sewing break. Whew!
Here’s the Vasoline Distressed “Gate” art
It’s definitely not perfect. The hardest part ended up being the next couple of steps:
Adding the skirt (the part that hangs down with the box pleat)
The first thing you need to do is make the skirt separately. I drew this diagram to help you figure it out. First, measure the length and height of the sides and front of the couch. My couch front was 80″ and the sides were 40″. The height was about 9″. (The height is the drop from where you want your skirt to start to the floor.) So I cut four long rectangle strips that were about 45″ x 12″. Then I cut three small rectangles that were about 10″ x 12.” (I’m guessing a lot here, I didn’t do a lot of exact measuring. I always leave myself a bunch of extra fabric because it’s easier to just cut it off.)
To sew them, I first hemmed the sides of all the pieces.
These are the three small rectangles. See how jagged and unprecise the bottoms are? I cut that off later. Then I layered them like the diagram shows, all right sides down, with the long rectangles touching and the small rectangles covering the ‘breaks’.
This is the front so you can see what it looks like. Then I sewed all the fabrics together. After I did that, I sewed piping across the entire top. Afterwards, I pinned it onto my inside-out slipcover like this:
Pinning the front was fairly easy since I didn’t really have to measure. Make sure that the box pleats are on the corners and front middle, respectively. Mine were a tiny bit off, due to my lack of perfect measuring. That’s what I get I guess.
The sides were harder because I had to make sure the drop was about the same. I didn’t do this very precisely though and ended up with some mistakes. If I were to do it again, I would trim the slipcover to be exactly the length I needed it and then pin on the skirt. So do it that way.
Then I sewed it on, slipped it back on the couch right side out and saw a couple of issues where the arms met the skirt so I unpicked and repinned, then sewed it again.
See it’s a tiny bit off right there…I wanted the box pleated corner to match up exactly with the piping on the arm, like the other side did, but just an inch short of fabric. Seriously though, you really don’t notice unless you are constantly comparing your slipcover to the one in the PB magazine (which I was.)
I choked and didn’t take any pictures of the next part, hemming the skirt. What helped me was to draw little dots at the spot where the skirt hit the floor. I drew dots all around the whole skirt, then it was easy to figure out where the hem needed to be. I folded it twice to hem. And it was rough, I tell you, sewing those hems in my machine. My poor machine really took a beating making this slipcover.
For the back, if you’ve left yourself enough length, you can easily just hem it the same as the rest. I was dumb and didn’t so I had to add a little skirt (sans piping and box pleats.)
The last step is to do the velcro closures. I put these at the back corners of the couch. I put the slipcover on inside out and pinned it shut on top and a little around the sides, but left most of the back corner open. Then I folded the excess fabric back and pinned. The key here is to pull it tight to the couch and meet up the fabric, but then leave an inch or so on the arm side so that the velcro has a spot to overlap.
When you sew on the velcro, make sure the one part of it (the part on the back of the couch) is facing the couch, sewn to the wrong side of the fabric. Then make sure the other side is sewn to the right side of the fabric.
Then when you turn it right side out, it should look like this. Ignore all my unclipped threads.
And fit together like this:
Also ignore the fact that the skirts don’t match up. The other side is even worse. That is my punishment for not measuring exactly. But it is the back so as long as the couch is against the wall you really won’t notice. The best part is…now you are done!!!!!
Linking up to:
Heidi is a blogger, creator, and a mom of three. She loves sewing, quilting, cooking, crafting, painting, decorating, and designing. To make sure you don’t miss any of her latest creations, please sign up for Honeybearlane’s RSS feed.Pin It